Subscribe to our mailing list and we will let you know about upcoming events, races, and community news.
The generosity of our volunteers allows us to fulfill our mission – connecting people and places with bikeways and walkways on Hawai’i Island – every day. If you have time to spare, fill out the application below, and someone from our staff will email you with the time and date our next volunteer orientation. At the orientation, you will hear from staff and volunteers about current volunteer opportunities — from bike and pedestrian safety or opportunities to serve on a committee to our board of directors. Fill out the volunteer application to join the PATH team!
Bike and Pedestrian Safety Education Volunteer Description
Assist in running bicycle and pedestrian education classes
Volunteer Duties include:
- Help set-up and break-down obstacle courses: load and unload supplies from van, set out cones, put up signs
- Check equipment (bikes and helmets) and perform light maintenance, if necessary (put air in tires, etc.)
- Fit participants with properly sized helmet and bicycle and perform helmet and bike checks for students’ personal equipment
- Assist in running obstacle courses: manipulate props, give instruction, encouragement and positive coaching to students
- Bike and pedestrian classes occur in schools all around Hawai?i Island. Ped ed is one day and bike ed is three days.
- Various schools and community organizations
- Enjoy working with youth
- Have interest in empowering active transportation users
- Be punctual
- Perform light to moderate lifting/less than 30 pounds
- We request that you commit to two classes per school year
- Pass criminal background check and follow all current covid-mitigation protocols
- Experience fun working with youth
- Feel satisfaction through empowering and exciting youth about bicycling, walking and rolling
- Participate in creating a cleaner environment and healthier community through active transportation
- Gain experience in teaching youth and active transportation education
- Perform community service